NicoleNews

Friday, September 29, 2006

Amazed


First I must apologize for the recent absence of entries. It actually is a good sign in some respects. A sign that the pace has picked up around here for all of us. Since Nicole was given the green light to walk, she has done just that. I am reminded of the time Jesus told the lame person to get up and walk. He got up and began to walk. Well, so has Nicole. She went through a couple of weeks cautiously walking through the house, carefully going up and down the steps, outside to our yard and the car, then a long walk in the park one beautiful day with a friend, Savanah ( who has "been there" for Nicole through these months - thanks Savanah!), attentively making her way down the sidewalk of a busy street, until eventually feeling more stability and normalcy in her walk. It has been the most amazing progress, truly miraculous, since the doctor's initial prognosis was one to two years to complete recovery. I believe her quick recovery is due to so many factors. One is her youth, making it possible for her bones to fuse quickly and they did so perfectly...beautifully alligned. This meant corrective surgery wasn't necessary. Her doctors anticipated surgery may be necessary, but it is not the case. Her bones have fused and without shifting. How amazing is that?

This photo is extremely symbolic. It was the morning after Nicole was told by her doctor to begin walking and resume normal activity. As I entered what is our "hang-out" room (formerly our dining room), the first thing I noticed was the presence of an empty wheelchair. Stately positioned right where she always sat, it was apparent she walked to her bed that night, leaving the wheelchair behind, empty. This wheelchair was never in this room at night...every evening she wheeled herself into her bedroom and lifted her body onto the bed. This meant Nicole, for the first time in three months, had walked to her bed. Tears flowed at this physical demonstration of the amazing transition taking place in Nicole's progress. For a brief moment, three months flashed before my eyes and then disappeared. There was a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us. God was doing something that far exceeding our expectation.

Physical therapy is now part of our routine...three times a week. It is building strength and stability in Nicole's lower body and legs. Although she is always "achy" after a session, she calls it "good pain". We are also grateful that these sessions have not proven to be as painful as originally anticipated. In so many ways, we have witnessed the amazing healing of our daughter. This brings to mind the many who have prayed regularly for Nicole over the last four months. Your prayers have sustained her through this time of suffering, confusion and healing, giving us all strength to face each day with its unexpected challenges. Thank you!! Nicole will continue therapy for six more weeks. By that time we anticipate she will be well on her way to full recovery. Again, it is astonishing to think this has happened in less than six months from the accident. We can't comprehend it all. We stand amazed and in awe at all God has done!

There is another item for which we are extremely grateful. Today we heard that the driver of the car has pleaded guilty to all charges against her. This means Nicole doesn't have to face months of drawn out court hearings and the emotional toll of waiting for a conviction and resolution. This is good news for Nicole; however, I am also keenly aware that someone else's life is tragically altered as the result of a very foolish decision. No doubt she is experiencing her own pain.

So much has happened in just a few months that at times it is dizzying. Nicole is now facing decisions about when to move back to her apartment, should she or can she work part-time or full time, when and where, there are litigious concerns and options, and countless questions still unanswered. As her body is recovering, we know in time her spirit will also recover. We look forward to that day. For now we are all extremely thankful.

12 Comments:

Blogger Agnes said...

Praise the Lord God from whom all blessings flow. I love you all. May God continue to bless your hearts, minds,spirts,and bodies.
May God rescue the driver as He has rescued us.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you so much for the update! I have been checking your blog almost daily. God is so good!!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Craig Higgins said...

What great news, Paul. You guys have all been in our prayers these many months, and we are so thankful for this amazing recovery.

Looking forward to seeing you here at Trinity Church in a few weeks.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Praising God with you! Thanks for sharing this process with all of us. You have allowed us to experience the living God with you, through sharing your trial with us.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Thor Knutstad said...

My heart is filled with an inexplicable joy right now - knowing that body and heart are healing well in Nicole. Father has given in His selfless, gracious way once again. And though you heard of Him... and though you spoke and speak well of Him (Paul), your eyes, my brother, have now seen Him. You - the wise counselor - see with more clarity and clearness. How awesome He is! May His presence and your testimony of Him and His masterpiece"ing" of Nicole's life be your comfort, your newest wisdom, and your press on unto eternity. This pre-cursor of "wiping away most every tear" on this side must bring a peace and joy that unburdens that which has been such a heavy burden. Thank you for opening your life to the masses - and for continuing to lead with wise counsel - and for allowing us to pray for you. Christ's counsel has been lived in and through the Tripp family - thanks to a small tech tool called "blog." May our sweet Savior Lord Jesus, Whom you proclaim, be your resource, your guide, and your wisdom...TK

8:50 AM  
Blogger s duggan said...

It is great to hear of this wonderful progress. I checked in to see how things were going because when I saw both you and Louella at chruch this weekend I knew some how things must be looking up. Praise the Lord.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

I am speechless and my heart is bursting. How can these things be? Our family has always been blessed in so many ways, but this takes the proverbial cake. Our God is an amazing God - He reigns forever. Our God is an amazing God.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Pete W. said...

Wow Paul, praise God for His continuing flow of mercy, love and healing placed on your dear Nicole as well as to you and your entire family. I also pray that He may bestow such mercy and love and healing on the driver. Also, thanks for all the amazing things you shared during the CCEF Annual Conference. I definitely look forward to ordering your general session talks. Thanks also for signing your "Age of Opportunity" book for my mom Lai...she could really use your insights at this time. God bless you and all of your loved ones. :)

Pete Wong (Philly)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sam Brown said...

Im so glad to hear that Nicole is doing well and healing. God has once again answered our prayers

9:04 AM  
Blogger Andresese'z said...

Hi,
I used to work with Nicole at Commerce Bank a long time ago, and we are good friends. I ran into an ex-coworker, who told me about the news and this blog, I was speechless; I wish I found out earlier, but I have been gone for a while. I hope you still check this blog, since it’s probably the only way to contacting her, since I lost my phone with her number a long time ago, and the person who I ran into did not have it. Anyway, my name is Luis Maldonado and my number is 267 441 7154...you can also contact me via e-mail at andresmaldonado@comcast.net,
Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do,
Thanks

4:24 PM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

You mentioned Nicole's spirit. I will be praying for that recovery of her spirit, as well as that of the driver.

11:42 AM  
Blogger pc957 said...

Hi Paul

I just want to say that I am so sorry to hear this very sad news about your daughter's accident but at the same time after reading this entry of your blog, I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so much better. As I write this, It is almost a year later from this entry of the blog and I'm asuming that she is doing very well now. Praise God for his love and grace in good times and bad.

My heart goes out to you and Nicole and your family and I am praying for Nicole and all of you. I will never forget you all and I love you very much.

Sincerely and in Christ...
Pat Cahill

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home