NicoleNews

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Too Quiet

It was a quiet day, a very, very quiet day. It just didn't seem like there was much to say. Things are what they are and they won't be changing soon. And in the middle of it all, there are times when we all seem to be processing the state of things within ourselves.

We are in a regular "recovery routine" consisting of the little things we do for Nicole to assist her as she goes through the day. Luella and I have learned how to balance our schedules so that one of us can be at the house at all times. Nicole is rolling around more in her chair and doing more things for herself. And Rusty (our dog) follows her wherever she goes. (No tire marks on his back yet!)

We are working to get Nicole's aqua therapy started. Please pray that the obstacles in the way will be alleviated, so that Nicole can get her muscles moving.

I think we are all a bit tired and a little frustrated because we all are being asked to wait. We wait for therapy to begin. We wait for the next doctor's appointment. Nicole waits many times each day for us to assist her. We wait for Nicole to be able to be more mobile. We wait to find out what is going to happen with Nicole's legal case. We wait for Nikki's body to heal. We spend hours at home, sitting and waiting. We all wait for this moment to be over. And we wait to return to some semblance of normal life. We wait. It is what we are being called to do.

There are times in the wait when you have said all there is to say. There are times when you are not all on the same page. There are times when the days seem unbelievably repetitive. These are the moments when quiet descends. Sometimes it's the quiet of impatience. Sometimes it's the quiet of boredom. Sometimes it's the quiet of disagreement. Sometimes it's the quiet of exhaustion. Sometimes it's the quiet of longing. Sometimes it's the quiet of assessment. And sometimes its just quiet; nothing more to say.

In the middle of it being too quiet yesterday a package came from friends in California. It was full of wonderful baked goods. It broke the quiet, if just for a moment, and we were thankful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lois said...

OK, Paul, now this one makes me really sad. How am I supposed to work now? My heart is heavy and I wish I could drive down to Philly right now and do something! I don't know what I would do, maybe just give you all a big hug and cry! Please know that I love you all very much and am praying for you.

Hugs and kisses,

Lois

4:29 PM  
Blogger Lois said...

OK, Paul, now this one makes me really sad. How am I supposed to work now? My heart is heavy and I wish I could drive down to Philly right now and do something! I don't know what I would do, maybe just give you all a big hug and cry! Please know that I love you all very much and am praying for you.

Hugs and kisses,

Lois

4:29 PM  
Blogger Lois said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home