NicoleNews

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Outside World

Yesterday I listened to the news in detail for the first time since Nicole's accident. As I did, I realized how much we have lost contact with the outside world. Yes, we know there is a world out there and we know there are local, national, and international stories of interest. We know there are malls. restaurants, and movies theaters. We know there are sites to see, places to visit, and things to do. Yet the world inside our doors has so occupied us that it is as if the world outside our doors no longer exists. On an every day basis, essential trips to work, the pharmacy, and the grocery store are about as far away as we get to the world that exists beyond Nicole's daily need and her recovery. Many things that we would have thought were important, maybe even necessary, have receded into the backgound of the drama that began on May 19th. Although we are trusting that the most serious aspects of the drama are now behind us, the aftermath keeps us outside of the outside world.

I had a good day with Nicole yesterday. I felt grateful that she is showing increasing strength and I felt thankful that I could meet her various needs throughout the day. Yet I was very aware that I was in this parallel universe where one very significant thing simply has overwhelmed everything else in our lives. We committed to the inside world of Nicole's recovery, so that as quickly as possible she may participate in the outside world once again.

We are very positive about Nicole's recovery, yet we do not know for sure everything that is before us. One thing we know for sure is that we will live in our little parallel world as long as she needs us. And although life is a little wierd at the moment, we love the fact that God has given us the privilege of assisting Nicole in her dramatic moment of difficulty. We know that whatever world we are called to live in, God is with us, giving us what we need for that day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zoanna said...

This is really encouraging for people living in small worlds not of their choosing.

By the way, a couple of weeks ago, I left a comment saying that I'd love to buy a new set of twin sheets for Nicole's rented hospital bed. My offer still stands. I lived in the very small world of such a bed for 5 weeks a few years ago. The comfort of clean, smooth cotton sheets in a cheerful pattern brightened my day and night just a bit more. Please leave a comment on my latest post, either you, Luella, or Nicole herself. I am close to a Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and several other chain stores in the Bel Air/White Marsh area of Baltimore.
Please let me send something else Nicole would like if sheets aren't a big deal. I want to do this.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

This is really encouraging for people living in small worlds not of their choosing.

By the way, a couple of weeks ago, I left a comment saying that I'd love to buy a new set of twin sheets for Nicole's rented hospital bed. My offer still stands. I lived in the very small world of such a bed for 5 weeks a few years ago. The comfort of clean, smooth cotton sheets in a cheerful pattern brightened my day and night just a bit more. Please leave a comment on my latest post, either you, Luella, or Nicole herself. I am close to a Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and several other chain stores in the Bel Air/White Marsh area of Baltimore.
Please let me send something else Nicole would like if sheets aren't a big deal. I want to do this.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home